Monday, April 30, 2012

Weekend Activities

Wow!  The weekend sped by in a flash!  Not enough time to get everything done, but there never is.  My new camera arrived on Thursday and I had great fun over the weekend trying it out.  Below are some samples of my efforts.

Impatiens - Grown From Seeds

Butterfly Bush

Agastache


Nandina Berries

Texas Sage
My Resident Bunny
The camera has a portrait mode setting that works really well with close-ups of flowers.  It focuses on the flower in the foreground and then fades out the background.  The Agastache picture shows how well it works.  The bunny was in my neighbor's yard.  I took the picture with almost full zoom.

I spent some of Saturday laying out a new planting bed in my front yard.  I want to eliminate most of the water-guzzling turf grass around my house and replace it with water-wise native plants.  I decided to do it in stages since killing all the grass at once seems a bit ambitious.  This new bed will give me space to try more of the Texas natives that I love.  I think I've got the layout decided.  Now I just have to kill the grass, till everything, and install edging.  I also want to install a small seating area under the Pear tree so I can sit out front and watch the world go by.  Here's a picture of the garden hose layout.


On Sunday I took the Plano Garden Club's garden tour.  It was a warm day but garden lovers were out in force.  My favorite of the five gardens was the first we saw.  It incorporated lots of native plants and most reflected my gardening style.  The owners do all their irrigation from water collected in rain barrels that are connected to their downspouts.  I really want to try a rain barrel and found out that their source for them is in McKinney.  Here's their beautiful backyard.


Garden Tasks Completed
  • Divided and transplanted bearded iris from pots to the side path bed.
  • Planted a lantana where the yaupon hollies were.
Garden Observations
  • Rain lilies have sprouted.  Little wisps of greenery poking up. 
  • Steadily growing fruit on the tomatoes and peppers.
  • Angelonia is starting to bloom.


No comments:

Post a Comment