Saturday, May 12, 2012

Cart Before the Horse

I’m so excited about my planned native garden that I couldn’t wait to start buying the plants.  I told myself that I’d better buy them before the nurseries sold out for the season.  Seemed like a rational argument to me!  I also had coupons, discounts, and other offerings to spur me along, so off I went on Thursday.  I ran down to North Haven on my lunch hour and used a $5.00 off coupon to get started.  On my way home from work, I decided to wander through Calloway’s.  It was my lucky day as they were just marking all their perennials down 30%.  On Friday afternoon, Shades of Green posted a special offering on their FaceBook page – 25% off all perennials on Saturday only, plus I already had a $15.00 off coupon from the Plano Garden tour.  So, three days later, below are pictures of my haul.  I now have enough plants that I’ve decided to go ahead with a bed extension on my existing butterfly garden.



My purchases include the following plants:


Pink Skullcap
Black Eyed Susan 'Indian Summer'
Four Nerve Daisy
Goldsturm Black-eyed Susan
Purple Coneflower
Winecup
Tall Verbena (Brazilian Verbena)
Red Yucca
Little Bluestem
Blanket Flower 'Arizona Sun'
Gulf Muhly
Hummingbird Mint (Apricot Sunrise)
Mexican Feathergrass
Homestead Purple Verbena
Fall Aster
Pitcher Sage
Purple Skullcap
Salvia 'Black & Blue'
Rock Penstemon
Gayfeather
Brazos Penstemon
Milkweed
Husker Red Penstemon
Senna corymbosa
Blackfoot Daisy
Powis Castle Artemisia
Rock Rose




I’m still searching for a few, but I have plenty to get me started.  I can’t wait for Memorial Day weekend when I plan to till the soil and install the edging.  I have to spray the grass tomorrow to start eradicating it.  No time to piddle…I’ve got work to do!




No comments:

Post a Comment