Wednesday, April 25, 2012

New Camera Is On the Way!

My recent attempts at garden and wildlife photos generated great frustration because I don't have a camera that can properly capture what my eye sees.  My little point and shoot is fantastic for backpacking trips because it is light and durable, but it just doesn't have the zoom range or the settings to allow me to capture the play of light or critters at play.  After some research, I settled on the Canon PowerShot SX40 HS.  It should give me the additional functionality that I want without getting into really expensive DSLR cameras.  I want to try it out this weekend, so I expedited the shipping and should have it tomorrow.  I can't wait to give it a try.  I'm already seeing scenes in the garden that I want to try to shoot.  Stay tuned for samples of my efforts.  In the meantime, here's one I took this week.


Garden Observations
  • The following plants are blooming this week:  Wine Cups, Butterfly Bush, Gregg's Mistflower, Texas Sage and Stella D'Oro Daylillies.
  • The Pink Scullcap is just about to bloom.  Maybe tomorrow.
  • I'm really excited about the Wine Cups because I thought they hadn't survived last summer.  I planted them and then the Lantana covered them up.  I was so surprised and pleased to see them in early spring.  I'm hoping they get well-established before the Lantana takes over again.
  • Almost all of the tomato plants have set fruit.  I'm seeing some baby peppers as well.
  • The butterflies are flocking to the blooming plants, especially in the butterfly garden out front.  I'm really excited about capturing them with the new camera.
  • There are a ton of moths fluttering around all the plants.  I've read other gardeners speculating that this is due to the mild winter and early spring.  Hopefully, the birds will enjoy them.  I know my cats think they're fun to chase when they make it inside!

No comments:

Post a Comment