Sunday, May 20, 2012

Rain Barrels are Here!

I picked up the rain barrels on Thursday night.  It was a tight fit getting all three of them in the car, but they made it.  Turns out the barrels are made from recycled olive casks and the inside smells distinctly of calmata olives!

We had a good rain about a week ago which gave me the chance to listen at each of my downspouts and select the ones with the best flow rate for the rain barrels.  It's a good thing I did this when the opportunity presented itself because we haven't had a drop of rain since.

Two of the barrels are now in place.  I haven't connected them yet.  I have to cut the downspouts in order to do so, and I haven't figured out which tool I want to use for this (hack saw, tin snips, dremmel).  If rain appears in the forecast, this project will move to the very top of the list.



My other major project - the new beds in the front yard, moved forward slightly this weekend.  I bought the steel edging to outline the beds, but when I started the installation this morning, I decided that I really do hate the stuff!  My string trimmer does an excellent job of cutting a nice trench around the planting area which effectively keeps the encroaching St. Augustine runners out.  The Bermuda grass will get in the beds regardless of edging since it spreads by seed.  So I cut a trench around each bed and called that part of the project done.  Next weekend, rototill and plant.

There can be no other occupation like gardening in which, if you were to creep up behind someone at their work, you would find them smiling.  ~Mirabel Osler

No comments:

Post a Comment